Monday, February 14, 2011

The Best Snow Day Ever

Happy Valentines Day everyone! I had a wonderfully snowy Valentines Day. It all started when my mommy woke-up and got out of the warm bed. When my mommy looked out of the window…she screamed “Aaahhhh!!!!” I suddenly woke up, jumped out of bed, and my feet hit the floor with a BAM! I ran to the window with my daddy. Then I screamed “AAHHH!! There’s snow falling!” My daddy and I hurried and got our snow clothes on so we could go play in it!

When we got outside my daddy and I saw thick snowflakes falling like crazy, and about three inches of snow on the ground. We ran to the soccer field next to our apartment building. There we played in the snow. First I made a snow ball so we could make a snowman. I rolled and rolled and rolled snow until it created the biggest snow ball I have ever made. I said “This snow ball is half my size!” Then we started on the middle one. We rolled and rolled until it was only a little smaller than the first one. Then, I said “All we have to do is the head.” After we made the head, I said “I am so excited to put it all together!”
Half way done with our first big snowball

My daddy said “How about we make a Mohawk on the snowman’s head?” I said “Oh sure!” It was very funny to create a punk rocker snowman. :) We made eyes, a nose and a mouth with sand, and then I found some sticks for the arms. When we were done the other people that were playing in the snow were very impressed, and they came over to take some pictures. My daddy told me that in Korea people usually make snowmen out of just 2 snowballs, and when I looked around I noticed that we had the only 3 snowball snowman. I think that is why they liked ours so much. Then I jumped into the snow and made a snow angel.

Finally finished with our punk rock snowman! Isn't he cute :-)

I let him borrow my scarf to help him keep warm.
I love making snow-angels.

One interesting thing I noticed was that a lot of the locals had umbrellas. I have never seen people in America do that while it is snowing. I think it’s a good idea though because it keeps the snow off of you. That way you won’t be all wet once the snow melts, like my daddy and I were when we finally went back inside.

Locals with their umbrellas

After a break I sat down in the snow and threw like a billion snowballs at my daddy and he threw some at me. Then we decided to head home because we were covered in snow, our hands and feet were freezing, and the snow was now about five inches high. This was the best Jangyu snow day we have had all winter! It’s a fact that Jangyu usually doesn’t get snow so I was very happy that I had a chance to play in some snow!

While I was writing this my daddy told me that he just read in the news that in the northern part of South Korea they had the most snowfall in 100 years. They had over 39 inches. Wowzers! That’s a lot of snow. Here’s a link to that news story. There is even a couple videos in that link too :D

To see the rest of the pictures we took click on the photo tab at the top of the page and check out the photo gallery called "The Best Snow Day Ever."

1 comment: